A General Introduction to 5052 Aluminum:
5052 aluminum sheet is an AL-Mg alloy aluminum sheet, which is the most widely used rust-proof aluminum. This alloy has high strength, especially fatigue strength, high plasticity, and corrosion resistance, cannot be heat treated to strengthen, good weldability, poor machinability, and can be polished.
5052 aluminum sheet magnesium content is 2.2-2.8%, so the density is only 2.68. Alloy 5052 aluminum sheet weight is the lightest alloy number in the whole 5 series aluminum. It is mainly used for low load parts requiring high plasticity and good weldability, working in liquid or gaseous media, such as oil tanks, gasoline or lubricating oil ducts, various liquid containers, and other small load parts made by deep drawing.
Aluminum Date Sheet 5052 (Chemical Composition)
5052 Aluminum Sheet Properties
Tension Strength: 170～305MPa
Yield Strength : 0.2 (MPa)≥65
Hardness: over 60HB
What are the applications of 5052 aluminum alloy?
Sheet metal parts.
Underwear molds, shoe molds
Gas storage cylinder.
How strong is the 5052 aluminum Sheet?
Hardness: Aluminum 5052 sheet belongs to medium strength aluminum sheet. The hardness of aluminum sheet 5052 H32 is over 60HB.
Elongation: Aluminum 5052-H32 elongation exceeds between 12-20%; so it can be used for bending and stamping.
Tensile strength: The tensile strength of 5052 aluminum sheet is over 210-230 Mpa, 5052 is an alloy aluminum sheet, 5052 corrosion resistance is better in a similar environment.
What’s the difference between 3003 and 5052 aluminum? 3003 vs 5052
Both 5052 aluminum sheet and 3003 aluminum sheet are the most common alloy aluminum plate in the market. Now we take 3003H24 aluminum sheet and 5052H32 aluminum sheet, for example, to popularize the knowledge in this area.
1. Chemical Composition: 3003 aluminum plate is aluminum-manganese alloy, the main alloy element is manganese. 5052 aluminum plate is aluminum-magnesium alloy, the main alloy element is magnesium. 3003 aluminum plate has a slightly higher aluminum content than the 5052 aluminum plate.
2. Mechanical Properties. 3003H24 aluminum plate is an aluminum-manganese alloy, the main alloy element is manganese. The tensile strength of the 3003H24 aluminum plate is 145-195Rm/MPa, while the tensile strength of 5052 H34 aluminum plate is 230-280Rm/MPa, much higher than 3003H24 aluminum plate; the elongation strength of 3003H24 aluminum plate is 115Rm/MPa, while the elongation strength of the 5052 H34 aluminum plate is 150Rm/MPa. Therefore, the performance of the 5052 aluminum plate is significantly better than the 3003 aluminum plate.
3.Specification. 3003 H14 aluminum plate is a mainly thin plate, not many applications of the thick plate; while 5052 aluminum plate is widely used in addition to a thin plate and thick plate.
4. Use. 3003 aluminum plate is mainly used in wet environments, such as product packaging, refrigerators, air conditioners, cold storage, ventilation ducts, etc. And 5052 aluminum sheet is commonly used in electrical shells, transportation vehicles, pressure vessels, etc. It is a common material for manufacturing automobile and aircraft fuel tanks and fuel pipes.
5. Aluminum Sheet Price. 3003 aluminum sheet price is slightly higher than pure aluminum sheet, while 5052 aluminum sheet price is significantly higher than 3003 aluminum sheet. According to different specifications and thicknesses, the price of one ton of 5052 aluminum sheets is higher than the price of one ton of 3003 aluminum sheets.
Is 5052 aluminum sheet bendable? Can I bend 5052 aluminum sheet 1/8?
5052 aluminum sheets can be bent and processed. But it also depends on the following four aspects.
1. State & Temper. 5052H32 aluminum sheet and 5052 O state aluminum sheet can meet the 90 degrees bending and shallow stretching, stamping requirements do not crack. 5052 H34 aluminum sheet, 5052 H36 aluminum sheet, and 5052 H38 aluminum sheet can not guarantee to bend without cracking.
2. Chemical composition. If the chemical composition of the aluminum plate is not qualified, impurity alloy exceeds the standard, which will also lead to aluminum plate bending cracking. Many factories produce aluminum plate 491to replace aluminum plate 5052 to sell, which is very dishonest behavior. 491 aluminum plate performance and chemical composition and 5052 close, but they are produced with scrap aluminum, the performance is not stable and the surface color is darker.
3. Bending radius. In the process, if the R angle is too large, will also cause aluminum sheet bending cracking.
4. 5052 aluminum sheet thickness. 3.0mm or less thickness of aluminum sheet sold in the market can guarantee to bend. If the aluminum sheet above 3.0mm also needs to be bent, you need to communicate with the factory to confirm before purchasing. .040 aluminum sheet is OK for 90 degrees bending. Many Canadian customers buy aluminum sheets near their factory but now decide to buy them from China.
What’s the difference between 5052 and 6061 aluminum? 5052 VS 6061
- Different chemical compositions.
- Mechanical properties are different.
- Product use is different.
- Price is different.
For more information, you can check out this article, 5052 aluminum vs 6061.
Can you anodize 5052 aluminum?
The anodized aluminum sheet is wildly sued in many projects. An anodized aluminum plate is suitable for hot-rolled material (DC material). The alloy 5052 aluminum sheet is hot rolled material (DC material), so the quality is good for anodizing. 5052 aluminum anodized sheet is very effective and can also anodize to different colors, such as black, red, blue, etc. The oxidation films will play a protective function for the aluminum plate, which can extend the service life and also make the aluminum plate more beautiful.
Almost all the hot rolled products in the market now are 5052 aluminum sheet. This 5xxx series aluminum sheet also has a good bending ability. So we generally give priority to recommend this kind of aluminum plate to our customers, and it has also been recognized by our customers. For cast rolled plate (CC material) will appear water ripples, spots while doing anodizing, and also uneven surface oxidation thickness.
In short, 5052 aluminum sheet has a wide range of market applications, whether it is our daily life products or the manufacture of aircraft and naval vessels have the figure of aluminum sheet material. The use of a wide range, especially in the construction industry, at present, this kind of aluminum is well developed, production and processing have strict specification standards.